Curriculum and Standards
1) The Colorado Department of Education and the Colorado PTA have created docs to help parents understand the expectations of the standards in all content areas (including Specials). Link to the guides: http://www.cde.state.co.us/standardsandinstruction/guidestok5standards
2) This is a great resource for parents- Parent Roadmap for Common Core Standards- Mathematics. It is found in English and Spanish. http://www.cgcs.org/page/244?utm_source=PARCC+Updates+11%2F13%2F14&utm_campaign=11%2F13%2F2014+Update&utm_medium=email
MindUP™ is a research-based training program for educators and children. This program is composed of 15 lessons based in neuroscience. Students learn to self-regulate behavior and mindfully engage in focused concentration required for academic success. MindUP™ lessons align with all state standards including Common Core and support improved academic performance while enhancing perspective taking, empathy and kindness as well as fostering complex problem solving skills. http://thehawnfoundation.org/mindup/
Benchmark Literacy is a research-proven program aligned to Common Core Standards and empowering both experienced teachers and beginning teachers with:
- 30 weeks of explicit comprehension-focused lessons for the whole class, small groups, and intervention
- Assessment-driven instruction that is differentiated and includes responding to text
- Gradual release and built-in choice that support student progress and teacher creativity
- Precisely leveled texts for your full range of students, including ELs and striving readers
- Leveled Reader's Theater and diverse genres that engage students and extend learning
- Research-based resources and professional development that have been proven effective
- Interactive technology that motivates student learning, involvement, and excellence
Lucy Calkins is a writing curriculum that has helped hundreds of thousands of educators revolutionize their primary and intermediate writing workshop instruction. Building on the best practices and proven frameworks in the original Units of Study for Teaching Writing series, this new series by Lucy Calkins and her colleagues from the Reading and Writing Project offers grade-by-grade plans for teaching writing workshops that help students meet and exceed the Common Core State Standards.
Bridges in Mathematics is a comprehensive PK–5 curriculum that equips teachers to fully implement the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics in a manner that is rigorous, coherent, engaging, and accessible to all learners.
The curriculum focuses on developing students’ deep understandings of mathematical concepts, proficiency with key skills, and ability to solve complex and novel problems. Bridges blends direct instruction, structured investigation, and open exploration. It taps into the intelligence and strengths of all students by presenting material that is as linguistically, visually, and kinesthetically rich as it is mathematically powerful.Our teachers…
- Encourage students to be responsible for their own learning.
- Use good questioning strategies and draw out student thinking.
- Promote discourse while creating a safe learning environment.
- Solve problems using visual models and manipulatives.
- Make and test conjectures while recording their thinking.
- Talk and move around the classroom as they actively engage in learning.
TCI is a K-12 publishing company created by teachers, for teachers. Their focus is on great content, meaningful technology, and interactive classroom experiences. The end result — students of all abilities and learning styles succeed. The online lesson plans, student handouts, assessment tools, and enrichment resources give teachers all the tools they need to turn their social studies classroom into an engaging and stimulating experience for each and every student.