Curriculum and Standards
1) The Colorado Department of Education and the Colorado PTA have created docs to help parents understand the expectations of the standards in all content areas (including Specials). Link to the guides: http://www.cde.state.co.us/standardsandinstruction/guidestok5standards
2) This is a great resource for parents- Parent Roadmap for Common Core Standards- Mathematics. It is found in English and Spanish. http://www.cgcs.org/page/244?utm_source=PARCC+Updates+11%2F13%2F14&utm_campaign=11%2F13%2F2014+Update&utm_medium=email
MindUP™ is a research-based training program for educators and children. This program is composed of 15 lessons based in neuroscience. Students learn to self-regulate behavior and mindfully engage in focused concentration required for academic success. MindUP™ lessons align with all state standards including Common Core and support improved academic performance while enhancing perspective taking, empathy and kindness as well as fostering complex problem solving skills. http://thehawnfoundation.org/mindup/
Benchmark Literacy is a research-proven program aligned to Common Core Standards and empowering both experienced teachers and beginning teachers with:
- 30 weeks of explicit comprehension-focused lessons for the whole class, small groups, and intervention
- Assessment-driven instruction that is differentiated and includes responding to text
- Gradual release and built-in choice that support student progress and teacher creativity
- Precisely leveled texts for your full range of students, including ELs and striving readers
- Leveled Reader's Theater and diverse genres that engage students and extend learning
- Research-based resources and professional development that have been proven effective
- Interactive technology that motivates student learning, involvement, and excellence
Lucy Calkins is a writing curriculum that has helped hundreds of thousands of educators revolutionize their primary and intermediate writing workshop instruction. Building on the best practices and proven frameworks in the original Units of Study for Teaching Writing series, this new series by Lucy Calkins and her colleagues from the Reading and Writing Project offers grade-by-grade plans for teaching writing workshops that help students meet and exceed the Common Core State Standards.
Investigations is a complete K-5 mathematics curriculum designed to help all children understand fundamental ideas of number and operations, geometry, data, measurement and early algebra.
The Investigations curriculum represents the culmination of over 20 years of research and development aimed at improving the teaching and learning of elementary mathematics.
Six major goals guided the development of Investigations. The curriculum is designed to:
- Support students to make sense of mathematics and learn that they can be mathematical thinkers
- Focus on computational fluency with whole numbers as a major goal of the elementary grades
- Provide substantive work in important areas of mathematics—rational numbers, geometry, measurement, data, and early algebra—and connections among them
- Emphasize reasoning about mathematical ideas
- Communicate mathematics content and pedagogy to teachers
- Engage the range of learners in understanding mathematics.
TCI is a K-12 publishing company created by teachers, for teachers. Their focus is on great content, meaningful technology, and interactive classroom experiences. The end result — students of all abilities and learning styles succeed. The online lesson plans, student handouts, assessment tools, and enrichment resources give teachers all the tools they need to turn their social studies classroom into an engaging and stimulating experience for each and every student.