Partners in Education (PIE)
PEG, which stands for "Parent Engagement Group," is the Basalt Elementary School parent group that supports the administration, teachers and staff by:
- Coordinating parent volunteer opportunities
- Showing appreciation for teachers and staff
- Building a school community where every family pitches in to make a difference
- Organizing fundraising events to support the above efforts
Along the way, PEG would like to foster a partnership between parents and educators, and help to create a positive, healthy, enriching school environment in which our children can best learn.
There are several ways that you can get involved at BES in the Fall, including many volunteer opportunities – which PEG communicates to parents via email, the monthly school newsletter and a "Volunteer Opportunities Checklist" we send home in September. Teachers also send home notes in backpacks asking for volunteers and Principal Suzanne Wheeler makes announcements in her weekly email.
Here are just a few ways you can contribute:
- Contribute to the Parent Engagement Group Annual Fund - GOFUNDME-BES PARENT ENGAGEMENT GROUP
- Help out during special, annual school events, such as the Scholastic Book Fair, "I Love to Read Month," Vision & Hearing Screenings, Field Days, Jump Rope for Heart, Art Fair and Science Fair.
- Give your time in the classroom, whether it's photocopying, doing math drills or helping with writing skills.
- Bring in food for teachers during Parent-Teacher Conferences, staff meetings and Teacher Appreciation Week.
- Buy items off of your teacher's Wish List. These are small items like tissues, pencils, Sharpies, paper.... all reasonably priced things you can throw in your cart the next time you're at Wal-Mart.
- Offer to collect and count Box Tops (at home) three times a year.
- Chaperone classroom field trips.
In addition to helping to coordinate parent volunteer efforts, PEG has done the following since 2008:
- Started the Adopt-the-Staff program to help show recognition to the support staff at BES, from the custodians to cafeteria employees.
- Created a Student Directory, so families can easily contact one another.
- Landscaped the school with new trees, bushes and mulch, and continuing to help beautify the grounds.
- Built an edible garden on school property, in part with grants from the Aspen Skiing Company.
- Held pasta dinners before grade plays to help raise money for grade teachers.
- Manned a booth at the Basalt Sunday Market, with activities for kids.
- Held Bingo Night and International Dinner celebrations with great food and entertainment.
- Got Summer Learning Workbooks to every child in the school.
- Celebrated Earth Day with a campus-wide cleanup and book collection/giveaway.
- Ran a supply drive for support teachers, such as Specials, Reading, ELL and Enrichment.